Archiv der Kategorie 'Economy'

UPDATE Welcome to Egypt!

Ägypten war mal berühmt für seine Gastfreundschaft, und mit der pflegte das Land auch fleißig Werbung für sich zu machen. Mit der neuesten Kampagne der Militärregierung dürfte das wohl bald endgültig Geschichte sein: Seit Monaten schürt diese die Stimmung gegen (westliche) Ausländer und macht „feindliche Kräfte aus dem Ausland“ (sei es aus den USA, Israel oder der EU) für die andauernden Proteste im Land verantwortlich. Seit einigen Tagen setzt die Militärregierung jetzt noch eins drauf und hat im Staatsfernsehen die Kampagne „Jedes Wort hat seinen Preis“ gestartet.
Die sieht zum Beispiel so aus (Übersetzung bzw. Zusammenfassung drunter):

„Er kommt ins Café. Er weiß genau, was er will…Wir sind berühmt für unsere Gastfreundschaft und sprechen immer sofort mit jedem…“
(junge Frau fängt an, die anderen fallen ein): „Heute habe ich in der U-Bahn gehört, wie jemand über das Militär gesagt hat…“ „Es gibt Probleme mit der Gasversorgung, und die Preise sind hoch…“ „Really?“
Am Ende der Ratschlag: „Pass auf was du sagst. Jedes Wort hat seinen Preis. Ein Wort kann unser Land retten oder es zerstören.“

(mehr…)

2 billion $ from the Worldbank???

In June Egypt refused after weeks of discussion to take a US-$ 2 to 3,5 billion loan from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) as incompatible with national interests. The government changed the budget and raised some taxes to be able to refuse the loan, also it accepted loans from Saudi-Arabia and Qatar (see old posts).

Today the surprise: Egypt accepts US-$ 2 billion from the Worldbank, sister organization of the IWF. There was no big discussion about it so far. The money goes directly to the ministry of International Cooperation, part of it is granted, part loaned.

US$ 250 million are granted for the ministry employees, 330 million to modernize a railway line, 100 million for an irrigation system. Further 600 million to finance a power station near Cairo and 220 million for a wind energy station at the Gulf of Suez. A loan of about US-$ 1 billion is further negotiated to support to power stations.

Revolution in Suez

Suez in the afternoon - Al Hayaat TV

Suez out of control: Today, Tuesday 5th of July, people took over in Suez. They burned police stations, surrounded the governors office and closed the important highway between Suez and Cairo. The police fled the whole city. The army sent special units and tanks to protect building (and probably to fight down the protests).

The protests began when a court in Cairo announced that 10 police officers who killed a lot of protesters during the revolution will be free, each of them only had to pay 10.000 EGP (about 1200 Euro), the process will be postponed to late september. Inmediatly the families of the victims started screaming and shouting, shortly after the court decision people gathered in Suez, went to police stations and to the main road to Cairo to close it. According to AlWafd-newspaper a speaker representing the families of the martyrs announced that now they will seek justice on their own and kill the officers themselves. He also told the he was informed about the decision before the judges announced it. The army took the officers to their headquarter to protect them.

There is a sit-in of about 5000 people since the evening in the Arbin, the central square of Suez. You find some photos and more information at Zeinobias page, in the video below you hear people shouting:

„I‘ve heard the mother of a martyr: Who will bring justice for my child? And we say: We will bring justice for your child!“
„Hey, general Tantawi, what has Mubarak told you before he left?“

„Ich habe die Mutter eines Toten gehört: Wer wird meinem Kind Gerechtigkeit bringen? Und wir antworten: Wir, wir werden deinem Sohn Gerechtigkeit bringen!“
„Hey, General Tantawi, was hat dir Mubarak ins Ohr geflüstert, bevor er gegangen ist?“

Suez was one hot spot of the revolution: It actually began when the protesters in Suez took over the 26th of january and chased the police out of the city. The fighting in Suez was very hard and the number of victims was higher than in most other places. Suez is, compared to Cairo and Alexandria, very poor, most of the protesters are workers in the harbour or the factories. The atmosphere in the city had already been tense the last days: The harbour workers are on strike, army and police had attacked them – accrording to the law the military council passed some weeks ago, strikes are forbidden and can be punished with prison.

UPDATE Egypt & the IWF

- One packet of cigarettes, Dunnhill, the red ones.
- 12 Pounds.
- What? Last week they were ten.
- I‘m not joking! Just read the newspapers!…

No money from the IMF: On Saturday, Finance-minister Samir Radwan announced that Egypt would NOT take a loan from the International Monetary Found (IMF). This was quite a surprise: the government was in negotiations with the IMF and the deal over a 4,5-billion-Dollar loan was almost perfect. The IMF offered it to Egypt in accordance with some decisions taken by european and north-american governments and international organizations like the G8 to ‚better conditions‘ than usual to support the country after the revolution.

However, wide parts of the Egyptian society were highly concerned about taking the loan: Many activists are critical against the IMF and its history of influencing the politics of southern countries according to neoliberal ideology and the interests of transnational companies. Mubarak’s regime used to work close with the IMF, transforming the national economy according to neoliberal rules: he privatised wide parts of the education and the health sectors, cut the wages, the gap between rich and poor increased. The IMF in Egypt is not only seen as an imperialist instrument but also strongly connected to the regime protesters removed with the revolution. Additionally, the last weeks, many liberal politicians and lawyers raised concerns about such a deal that would affect the country for decades could be taken by a not-elected, transitional governent.

The decision to refuse the IMF-loan was according to AFP partly a response to the „pressure of public opinion“. The government revised the budget plans, the deficit for 2011/12 in the first forecast was at 11 percent of gross domestic product, now it was revised to 8.6 percent due to some changes in plans on spending. „So we don‘t need to go to this bank now“, said Radwan.

Instead, Egypt got money from some other Arabian countries: Quatar and Saudi-Arabia offered Egypt each 500 Million US-Dollar. Some of the changes in the budget plan already affect the daily life in Egypt: This week the tax on cigarettes was raised from 40 to 50 Percent, the prices of the packet increased in 10 Percent…

Update (July 7th): The IWF is still ready to „help“ Egypt, Ratna Sahay, the Fund’s deputy Middle East director, said on Friday. And she rejected accusations, that the plan the IWF had offered to Egypt contained secret conditions to force to privatizations and to end subsidies. Who‘d have expected something like this!…

MORE: Vodafone & the revolution

Das Video kann auf den meisten Seiten nicht mehr gesehen werden – aufgrund des „Urheberrechtsanspruches“ hat Vodafone es von Youtube und anderen Internetseiten löschen lassen. (Ein paar kluge Leute haben es rechtzeitig kopiert, hier ist es noch online…) Es hat auch für genug Ärger gesorgt: Das dreiminütige Werbevideo kombinierte eine alte Werbung für ein neues Vodofone-System, das am 1. Januar startete, mit Revolutionsbilder und Aussagen wie: „3 Wochen später startete die Revolution.“ „Wir haben den Leuten nicht gesagt, dass sie auf die Straße gehen sollen. Wir haben die Revolution nicht gemacht.“ Aber: „Wir haben den Menschen nur gezeigt, wie stark sie sind.“ Aha, so war das also…

Unter Aegyptens Aktivist_innen brach ein Sturm der Empoerung los, als das Video bekannt wurde. Denn Vodafone, der wichtigste Telefonanbieter in Aegypten, hatte nicht nur eng mit Mubaraks Regime kooperiert und diesem u.a. Daten ueber Oppositionelle geliefert, sondern waehrend der Revolution auch ohne Widerspruch auf Anweisung Mubaraks die Telefonnetze abgeschaltet, inklusive Notfallnummern – so dass viele Verletzte starben, weil kein Krankenwagen gerufen werden konnte. Zudem erlaubte Vodafone der Regierung, waehrend der Abschaltung weiterhin Pro-Mubarak Propaganda ueber sein Netz an alle Handynutzer zu schicken. Eine sehr spannende Grafik zeigt, wie und in welcher Reihenfolge die Abschaltung ablief.

Ueber Twitter und Facebook, in Zeitungen und im Fernsehen wurde Vodafone kritisiert – auch ausserhalb Aegyptens, wie Artikel in der Sueddeutschen oder dem Guardian zeigen. Die Kommentare reichten von eher spassig bis bitterboese: „unethisch“ sei der Werbespot, schimpft Google-Manager und Revolutionsikone Wael Ghonim, „und die haben meinen Namen ohne Genehmigung dafür verwendet!“
„Ah, wir haben es falsch verstanden. Die Revolution war ein Projekt von Militär und Vodafone. Hätten sie uns das mal früher gesagt, dann wären wir zu Hause geblieben!“ „Hey Vodafone, ihr seid schuld, dass das ungeborene Baby meiner Freundin gestorben ist, sie ist verblutet, weil wir keinen Krankenwagen rufen konnten!“ Viele Angehörige oder Freunden von während der Revolutino getöteten meldeten sich zu Wort – viele von ihnen hätten überlebt, wenn telefonieren per Festnetz oder Handy möglich gewesen wäre. Weitere Kommentare und Infos unter anderem auf der Seite IhateVodafoneEgypt.

Vodafone fuehlte sich gezwungen zurueck zu rudern: Es veroeffentlichte eine Erklaerung, in der es erklaerte, Vodafone sei nicht verantwortlich fuer den Inhalt des Videos. Das Video sei von der Werbeagentur JWT erstellt worden und nur fuer internen Gebraucht, nie zur Veroeffentlichung gedacht gewesen.

Ergänzung: Brisant ist auch, dass alle Telefonanbieter (Vodafone, Etisalat, Mobinil etc.) für die Ausfälle während der Telefonabschaltung entschädigt werden sollen – Technologie-Minister Maged Othman zufolge sollen sie rund 100 Millionen Pfund erhalten. Und dass das nicht das erste Mal war: Bereits während der heftigen Streikwelle in Mahalla 2008 wurde diese Aktion geplant und erprobt